Journalism Project

Friday, March 23, 2007

Krueger Confidential

Melissa Krueger is a first year softball player at St. Ambrose University. She is a right-handed pitcher with a deep repertoire of pitches. She throws a fastball, changeup, a slow curve, a rise-ball, drop-ball, screwball, and a regular curve that she considers her best pitch. When she is in the field, she swings from the right side and plays second base. She grew up in Illinois City, Ill., and graduated from Rockridge High School.

Krueger is a physical therapy major. She became interested after visiting her grandfather in the hospital.

“I thought it was interesting. Most people get into it after being hurt,” she says. “I was lucky. I’ve never been hurt.”

As for life at SAU, it is much different than she expected.

“I come from a small town. I had imagined it was one big party. I thought it would be all lectures in an auditorium. Everyone here takes it seriously.”

Kruger goes on to say why she picked SAU.

“I wanted to go to a place where my parents could come watch me play. This is far enough away from home so that I feel that I’m on my own, but yet close enough to go home when I want. I like how it’s small & everyone here is so nice.”

Home is very important to Krueger as she expressed her desire to move back to Illinois City later on. She lists her parents among her heroes, along with her high school softball coach.

Krueger and her family live on a 169 acre farm, which has five horses, two dogs and two cats. Both cats were strays that were rescued by Krueger and her family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home