Journalism Project

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Ann's Angle


Finding the right job is like finding the right angle on a news story. When you get it right, you know it. And for one Quad City Times reporter, that angle is health in the Quad Cities.

Ann McGlynn never considered journalism as a career until after she was a sophomore at the University of Iowa. She had entered Iowa as a psychology major, but after her first year it didn’t feel right.

“My boyfriend at the time said ‘Weren’t you the editor of your high school newspaper?’ and I was. So the very next day I went down and changed my major. And I have loved it ever since.”

She had gotten that editors job without ever submitting an article. The class, called “pubs” then, was suggested by the year book advisor.

“I had fifth hour free, and she said ‘Why don’t you sign up?’ so I did and I became editor of the newspaper.”

John Marx of the Daily Dispatch also loves the work that he does on a daily basis.

“I have been able to do some many amazing things. I have met three presidents, countless famous athletes. I love my job; it has given me so much opportunity.”

McGlynn now uses those skills she learned to cover the health beat. And while health isn’t her favorite beat that she has ever covered, it’s better than her old one.

“I covered environmental issues and hated it,” McGlynn said. “I loved covering cops and courts and will still go back to that ultimately.”

McGlynn sees her beat as an important one, though.

“Health is just a huge beat right now. It is becoming so important to so many more people. People are starting to look at their lifestyles. So my goal is to help them get inspired to do something different than what they are already doing.”

McGlynn also spoke about how technology is changing her job.

“I also write a blog now. I am training for a triathlon and readers can follow my progress to see my successes and failures.”

She also has strong feelings about one of the newest additions to online journalism, comments.

“If you have something to say, put your name behind it. I would never dream of posting something on a public forum and not put my name on it. The nice part about the comments is you get immediate feedback. The bad part is that many commenters are just plain mean. But they are getting better.”

Maybe they’ll be nicer after they find the right angle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home